They are so rich that they are creamy. Everybody loves the taste of au gratin potatoes. They’re the perfect match for your steaks, pork chops, and roast beef.
Can you freeze it so that you’ll always have this delicious side dish on hand and ready to serve, even though you might be tempted to prepare a big batch?
We’ve researched for you and here’s what the experts have to say.
You can freeze the potatoes and serve them up for a couple of weeks.
If you want your casserole to have its flavor and texture, make sure you wrap it properly or store it in a container that will keep it fresh.
We’re going to give you more information about how to thaw, freeze, and cook potato Au Gratin, so you can enjoy it days after you prepare it. Just keep reading!
How Can I Freeze Au Gratin Potatoes
Everyone loves a plate of potatoes. It is easy to prepare, but very appetizing, because it is made with thinly sliced potatoes, butter and cheese sauce, and more cheese.
It is the perfect side dish for soups, salads, meats, and vegetables on the menu. It’s the ultimate comfort food because it makes meals heartier and more special while still warm.
It’s a shame to let the potatoes go to waste since they are so delicious. You can always freeze leftover potato dishes so you can eat them later.
- Your potato dish needs to cool down completely.
- This step is important so that you don’t raise the temperature inside the freezer and cause some of the food to thaw, which could affect the texture and taste of the food.
- You can use the same dish if you want to serve the whole tray or transfer your cooked potatoes into containers.
- It’s a good idea to freeze them in small batches so that they can easily be reheated.
- It is not safe to refreeze reheated potato dishes.
- Wrap your baking dish tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to protect it from the elements.
- You need to label and consume within 2 weeks.
- The quality of your potato dish may not be the same after this period.
Is It Possible to Freeze Cooked Potato Dishes?
Potato dishes that are covered in butter and cream are good for the freezer.
Most cooks recommend that you consume your creamy potatoes for 2 weeks for the best results, even though some say that they can last in the cold for 3 months.
When it goes well with anything you cook, why wouldn’t you serve this dish more often?
Is It Possible to Freeze Uncooked Au Gratin Potatoes?
When you put raw potatoes in the freezer, they can turn into mush, because of the amount of water in them.
If you want to solve this problem, you can partially cook your potatoes and store them in the cold.
When you’re ready to serve them, just thaw them and cook them until it’s completely warm and tender.
It is a good idea to partner with roasted chicken or spicy sausage for a satisfying meal.
How Long Will Potatoes Au Gratin Last Inside the Freezer?
The potatoes will stay in the freezer for a couple of weeks.
Food experts say that they should be consumed within 14 days to ensure their best quality, even though some say that they can stay there for 3 months.
There may be changes in the taste and texture of your potatoes after they are frozen.
If you keep it frozen for a long time, you might not like it as much as you used to. Why wouldn’t you let this delicious dish stay in the freezer for a while?
How Can I Thaw Your Frozen Potato Gratin?
If you want your frozen potato gratin to thaw, just transfer it to the refrigerator. Depending on its size and how frozen it is, it may take up to 4 days before it’s fully defrosted.
If you want to thaw your potatoes in no time, you should use the microwave. Put your dish into a microwave-safe container and cover it with a lid.
The microwave should be set to the defrost setting. You can serve this dish right away if you reheated it as you normally would.
When you thaw out in the microwave, you need to consume your potato dish immediately to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
Is It Possible to Cook Potato Gratin from Frozen?
After the potato gratin has been frozen, it is recommended that you thaw it. It might take a few days to have it completely thawed.
If you don’t have a lot of time, you can cook this potato dish from the freezer using your oven. It should be completely warm so you monitor carefully.
It might take longer to bake, but you won’t have to wait for days until you enjoy its creamy goodness.
How Can I Reheat Frozen Au Gratin Potatoes?
- Place your oven in the middle of the room at 350 degrees.
- The potatoes should be put in the dish with the lid.
- The center of the oven is where it should be placed.
- It should be baked for 25 to 30 minutes or until the temperature reads 165 degrees.
- Remove the lid or foil and bake for another 5 minutes to make the top brown and crisp.
- The golden-brown crust that everybody loves can be achieved if you remove the oven and allow the remaining heat to be used.
- The potatoes should be put in a cooking pot with a lid.
- You can cook over low to medium heat with the lid on.
- You don’t need to stir the dish if the potatoes have been cooked before you store them in the freezer.
- If the dish wasn’t cooked before you reheated it, you have to stir it gently to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- If the food is not warm after 20 minutes, it’s time to check it again.
- It is possible to know if your food has an internal temp of 165 degrees by using your food thermometer.
- Make sure your food is safe to eat by setting the temperature at this point.
- You can put your potatoes in a microwave-safe container.
- Leave a small portion open so that air can pass through, but cover it with plastic wrap that is microwave-proof.
- If you want to heat your potato dish, set the microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Allow it to rest for 30 seconds and then heat for another 3 minutes.
- When the food’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, it’s time to repeat.
- It is recommended to serve it warm.
If you want to savor the rich and creamy goodness of the potatoes later, you should freeze them.
It’s best to store them in smaller batches so that they are easier to thaw when the serving time arrives.
Store them correctly so that you have the best quality casserole to go with your favorite dishes.