There is no reason for an apple to be thrown out. If you have a lot of apples, you can make apple pie, crumble, or crisp at any time of the year.
Is it possible to put them in the freezer to serve later on? We asked our trusted bakers what they thought and here’s what they had to say.
In the cold, apple pie, crumble, and crisp does very well.
They will last for four months in the freezer if they are sealed tightly. They will be fine in cold storage even if they are baked or unbaked.
We will give you great tips on how to keep your apple pies, crumbles, and crisps fresh in the freezer until you serve them to your family and friends.
This guide will show you how to thaw, freeze, and re-warm these delicious desserts.
How Can I Freeze Apple Pie, Crumble, and Crisp?
There is something about baking apples in the oven that brings us happiness. When you serve it, there’s heavenly goodness in every bite, because of the smell and the taste.
Each apple pie, crumble, or crisp is perfect for dessert and can be used for any occasion.
The best thing about these goodies is that you can prepare them ahead of time, and they will do well in the freezer.
It’s great to have these treats on hand to share with your friends and family.
This is how to properly freeze them:
- You should allow your apple pie, crumble, or crisp to cool completely before putting it in the freezer.
- If you want to keep them fresh, cover them with 2 layers of aluminum foil.
- If you want to use multiple layers of plastic wrap, put them inside a freezer bag.
- Before you seal it, you need to make sure there’s no air in it.
- Before putting it inside the freezer, you need to label it with the content and date.
- If you want the best quality, consume within four months.
Freezing an Apple Pie Before or After Baking: Which Is a Better Option?
It is possible to freeze apple pie before or after baking it. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
It is better to freeze unbaked fruit pies so that you can enjoy them in their best quality when you serve them.
If you put your apple pie in the oven from the freezer, it will be ready to serve when you get home.
If you want to add more flour to your apple pie, you should sprinkle a bit of flour on the pie shell before you pour the filling.
It will prevent your pie filling from boiling over when you bake your fruit pie later in the day.
Is It Possible to Freeze Apple Crisp After Baking?
You can keep your apple crisp in the freezer by baking it ahead of time. After baking, cover it with 2 layers of aluminum foil to keep it cool.
Before putting the fruit in the freezer, label it and put the date on it. It takes between 3 to 4 months to consume.
Remove the foil wrapping and put it in the oven when you’re ready to eat. A classic, all-time favorite dessert is to serve warm with a scoop of ice cream on top.
Is It Possible to Freeze Apple Pie Filling?
It’s possible to make apple pie filling out of a lot of apples. You can keep them in the freezer where they will last for a year.
When you have apple pie filling in your freezer all the time, it won’t take you a lot of time to prepare your desserts.
You can use them for dessert later on because they are so easy to do. Before you transfer your apple pie filling into freezer bags, allow it to cool down.
It’s a good idea to freeze them according to the portion you need for baking. Before putting the containers in the freezer, make sure you put a label and date on them.
How Long Is It Possible to Keep Crumble in the Freezer?
You can keep your crumble in the freezer for up to four months if you store it in an airtight container. You have the option to bake it or un-bake it.
It’s a good idea to consume it within 4 months to enjoy the best quality. Once you take your crumble out of the freezer, ice crystals will begin to form on it, which will affect its texture.
How Long Is It Possible to Keep Apple Crisp in the Freezer?
Apple crisps do well in cold storage, even if you haven’t baked them yet.
They need to be wrapped in 2 layers of aluminum foil before they can be frozen. They will stay safe inside the freezer for 3 to 4 months if they are stored the right way.
How Can I Defrost Frozen Apple Pie?
If you want to serve your apple pie for dessert, you need to plan and give it enough time to thaw.
If you want your frozen apple pie to be as delicious as it was the day it was baked, you have to completely thaw it.
There are a few ways to thaw this fruit pie. You can either leave it on the counter or use the refrigerator, oven, or both.
Using the Refrigerator
You should use this method when you have a full day until you plan to serve your pie.
- The apple pie needs to be out of the freezer.
- Don’t remove the cover if you’re going to transfer it to the fridge.
- It should be left there for at least 12 to 24 hours to thaw completely.
Leaving It on the Counter
If you have half a day before serving time, you can put a thaw on the counter.
- You have to remove the fruit pie from the freezer.
- It’s a good idea to put it on the counter.
- To thaw completely, you have to wait for 3 to 5 hours.
- If you leave your pie on the counter for more than a few hours, it will get spoiled.
If you want to serve a hot apple pie, then this method is for you. The fastest way to thaw your fruit pie is through this method.
- The temperature in your oven needs to be adjusted to 350 degrees.
- Take the apple pie out of the freezer and away from the wrappings.
- It should be placed in the baking tray.
- The center of the oven is where you should put the tray.
- The pie will be completely warm if you bake it until it is completely warm.
- Depending on the size of the pie, the baking time will be different.
- It will take around 25 minutes for a 5-inch pie and around an hour for a 10-inch pie.
- You can use a fork or knife to check if your pie is warm all the way through.
- If the temperature is warm enough, just put the utensil in the center portion of the pie.
- It is a good idea to let it cool for a while before serving.
How Can I Reheat Frozen Apple Crumble?
You can thaw frozen apple crumbles straight out of the freezer. It’s not necessary to wait until they get completely thawed.
It is possible to satisfy your craving for apple crumble immediately.
The two ways to heat it are different. It’s possible to use your microwave or oven. The steps for each method can be found here.
This is recommended when you’re heating the whole pan of apple crumble.
- The temperature in the oven should be at least 350 degrees.
- The apple crumble should be placed on a baking tray.
- Don’t let the foil go to waste.
- At the center of the oven is where you should put your frozen apple crumble.
- If you want to bake for a while, bake for 20 minutes.
- Take the apple crumble out of the oven and put it back on the foil.
- If you’re worried about it getting too dry, you can sprinkle some melted butter on it.
- Continue baking until the apples are bubbling and the streusel topping is golden brown.
- Depending on how cold your apple crumble is, this can take 30 minutes to complete.
- It’s a good idea to serve immediately.
- Don’t forget to put ice cream on top for a delicious dessert.
The microwave can be used when you just want to cook a small portion of your apple crumble.
- You need to slice the portion that you need to serve.
- It should be placed on a plate that is microwave safe.
- It should be placed at the center of your microwave.
- Until completely warm, heat for 30 to 60 seconds a few times.
- It’s a good idea to serve it while it’s hot.
If you’re using a store-bought apple crumble, make sure you check the package instructions first. Some people don’t think microwave heating is a good idea.
If you freeze your apple pie, crumble, and crisp, you can always have the perfect treat to share with your family and friends.
It is possible to serve these fruity delights plain or top with ice cream or whipped cream for a satisfying dessert.